How is your Photograph Critiqued?
The purpose of the clinic is to provide instruction through constructive critical comment and evaluation. Remember, it is not a competition, HOWEVER FOR LEARNING PURPOSES, THE PHOTOS WILL BE SCORED. Critiques are done in a general forum with one External Judge and 2 Judges who are Club Members. These Judges use the following criteria to critique the photos:
Members comment using 3 categories:
- Pictorial or Artistic Merit (IMPACT)
- Technical Skill
- Interpretation of Subject
Pictorial or Artistic Merit (IMPACT)
This is a measure of the SUCCESS of the COMPOSITION.
Factors include the “RULES OF COMPOSITION”:
- Rule of Thirds
- Tonal Range and Texture
- Pattern and Rhythm
- Lead-in Lines
Here you measure the skills of:
- Depth of Field
- Shutter Speed
- Mounting, spotting (prints)
Here you evaluate how well the photographer interpreted the topic photographically.
- Is the subject matter appropriate?
- Has it been chosen carefully?
- Has it been captured in an interesting way?
- Does the subject communicate itself clearly without distraction?
Note: a TITLE may or may not assist in this process. It is only one factor to be considered.
(some titles are merely labels, and are therefore neutral).